Friday, April 3, 2009

rip oona, queen of the fairies

as i've written about here, the past month she's had many health problems. i won't go into detail, but she endured a massive surgery to remove a foreign object. while in the surgery, they removed one of her lungs as it was very damaged. turns out, the foreign object had not done the damage, rather it was the pulmonary carcinoma that they found. we weren't sure if the cancer had spread, but a few weeks later it was obvious that it had: she simply wasn't recovering from the surgery. and last week her eye doctor confirmed that the cancer had indeed spread to her eyes.

oona passed last night, peacefully in her own bed, surrounded by her family.

oona means "queen of the fairies" in gaelic. oona was truly a special dog...she definitely ran with the fairies. she was so sweet, mellow, relaxed and lovable--everyone who came in contact with her fell in love. 

thanks to all for the love and support...please excuse me if i'm away from the blogging for a few more days...

14 comments:

Two Chicks Nest said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like Oona was a real sweetheart and was well loved. You are in my thoughts.

Journal of a ____ said...

I have tears in my eyes for your lovely Oona. I know you will remember her always.

Rachel said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. She looks like such a sweet girl. I'm glad you were able to keep her at home till the end.

Let yourself be quiet for a few days while you begin to recover. Everyone will be here when you get back.

Anonymous said...

Oh, God. I'm so sorry.

These animal friends, we don't get over them.

She's gorgeous.

east side bride said...

I'm so sorry, you guys.

I know Oona is in doggie heaven with the breeze blowing through her fur.

(Not sure I believe in regular heaven, but I have to believe in doggie heaven.)

Lisa said...

You've been through the wringer this year. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad Oona was able to be at home with you until the end. You gave her as much love as possible and I'm sure that sustained her over these last few weeks. Sending warm thoughts to your family.

nicole said...

i'm so sorry christina! you and your family are in my thoughts! i know that the love that you gave oona and the love that she gave you and your lady will never be forgotten or taken forgranted and i hope that can bring you some peace!

"if there are no dogs in heaven, then when i die i want to go where they went" -will rogers

Ms. Cush said...

So sorry to hear about Oona. I think there are definitely angels just for belly-scratching.

Screen-Printing, the Art-Based Research Adventure said...

much love & hugs & good memories!

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful photo of her. Im so sorry . . .

cara said...

I'm so sorry. Thinking of you both and how sad you must be.

Hugs to you, xx

cevd said...

i am so sorry. it hurts my heart to think about it.

Adriana said...

I too am sorry to hear about your loss. It really breaks my heart. Take care of yourself!

Rebecca said...

so sorry to hear the sad news! with all your stories it just seems so clear that oona was lucky to have you--and viceversa. take good care in remembering her--